Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Facing my Finances

Right now I have a moderate income, and my lowest ever expenses as an adult. So how did this disposable income turn into a budgeting nightmare?

After years of thrifty choices, I started a new life this summer. Left behind most of my possesions, and found a new career. I suddenly had lots and lots available to spend, and seemingly no limits. And I was justified. Justified because no one was telling me no anymore, because I had no appropriate clothes after years of letting my ex say no, justified because it was mine and I can, so why don't I?

So. 6 months of working hard, living with my family. And a savings account that is barely above my emergency fund (were I to move out immediately). For the money I can also show: a revitalized makeup collection (quite important to a femme like me), and a moderate working wardrobe. I bought nice presents for everyone at Christmas. I bought a new netbook. I bought a new hair straightener. I also took myself to a hotel for a weekend, including a delicious stop at the Body Bliss spa in Toronto.

I don't regret my choices, except for low quality bagels bought out of lazieness. I do, however, need to be back on budget so that I can be back out on my own without any financial crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment